CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How do you cope with stress?

Today I am feeling a bit better than I did when I wrote my last post. not by too much, though. I don't think I have actually taught in almost two weeks because of this testing. When I think of all the wasted time, I cringe. These kids need more teaching from me. I think that might be why they have been acting so crazy. I send them off to do independent centers, and they are getting bored.

So tomorrow, I am taking a break from the testing. I am actually going to TEACH! While this sounds great, I am not sure that it will help me feel less overwhelmed. I've had so much info thrown at me the past few weeks, I still don't know how to digest it all. I wish there was a manual for teaching....or for life!!

So, what I need is some good advice on ways to cope with feeling overwhelmed. Also, ways to de-stress. What do you all do to fix overwhelmed feelings and stress?

I know the first year of teaching is tough (and it certainly has been tough), but I kind of thought I would get the hang of it by now. It also doesn't help that my district is currently in a state of disarray. I'm confused. My colleagues are confused. The kids are now confused. I just wish there was someone to point us all in the right direction, so we could point the kids in the right direction!!!! I am trying to keep my focus on my 19 kiddos. I need to make myself feel better, for them. That way, I can be 100% and give be the teacher they deserve.

Well, I am off to read a bit (I'm about to start The Hunger Games), then I am calling it an early night.

-Amanda

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    I'm not sure what to suggest. I teach in Canada and things are done a little differently. We don't have all the mandated testing you seem to have. Can you just do an hour's worth a day and stretch it all out?
    As far as handling stress ... running works for me, yoga and/or having a nap when I get home (ha ha!). But it sounds like you need to find a colleague you respect/trust you can talk to.
    Good luck with it all. And thanks for visiting my blog!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Barbara.
    Stretching it out sounds like a good idea. Maybe for the next round of testing I will start a week or so early. That will hopefully reduce my stress, as well as the kids! Thank you for your suggestions for handling stress. I will definitely be trying them (especially the nap!)
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda! Thanks for checking my blog out and following me. I am now doing the same. :) I have to say, I really envy you! haha. You teach my dream grade! I luckily got a job right out of college as well (just graduated last may and am doing Title in a charter school) I like it, don't get me wrong and it is a job, but it's not ideal by any means. I have a tiny little office/classroom and it's right above the gym. (ya a gym on the second floor go figure) so for much of the day it's super noisy. :( I do get to take K-3 and get the experience working in all grades, but I have loved first grade the most since student teaching. May I ask what state/city you're in?
    As for stress, I'm glad to see you're starting the Hunger Games. I really liked the series and flew through all the books. I am excited for the movie to come out this spring. I think reading is a way I destress. I just got a kindle this Christmas and like it a lot. I also am trying to get into exercising. (just got home from a zumba class) So those are my suggestions. :) Yay for almost friday! I didn't have a very good day at school either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah! I hear you on the noise level. My school has open classrooms, so we don't have any doors! Whoever invented that idea must have been slightly crazy! What kind of lessons do you get to teach in you position? I hope you can find a 1st grade position for the next school year! I student taught in first grade as well, and that was when I realized how much I loved teaching the slightly older kids! (I have a degree in early childhood ed.) I am from Pawtucket, Rhode Island. The Hunger Games is great so far. I love reading, as well. I have been trying to exercise, too. Zumba is great! Thank you for your suggestions! Thank goodness it's the weekend and hopefully next week will be a better week!!!

    ReplyDelete