CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 17, 2011

So I survived my first round of parent teacher conferences. Three and a half hours of non stop talking, but it really wasn't bad. It went by fast and the parents were nice. I was nervous, for the most part. I think I stuttered quite bit, haha. I am still afraid that people look at me differently because I am so young. I am afraid that they will think I am not an effective teacher or that I do not know what I am doing. The truth is, sometimes I don't know what I am doing, but I certainly try my hardest. I have spoken with veteran teachers and even they have moments where they don't know what they are doing. I guess it just comes down to being a very stressful job that throws curve balls at you sometimes. For a beginning teacher, those curve balls hit just a bit harder.

Speaking of curve balls, one of my challenging students had a great day the other day, and today had a...not so good day, to put it lightly. A throwing them self on the floor and screaming not so good day.....but we somehow got through it and the afternoon seemed to be better for him. I am baffled by this student. Their behavior is highly unpredictable and changes with the wind. Some days I feel I'm getting through to them more than others. I guess it just motivates me to work that harder. It is hard not to get discouraged sometimes. When I do, I try to think about how important it is for that child's future that they get past this, and it is my job to give them the most help that I can. I just wish that there were five more of me, so my 17 other students didn't fall by the wayside during the child's outbursts.

I wish there were five of me for other reasons, as well. Like the massive amount of paperwork that I just can't seem to get filed. Or the cleaning of my classroom. Or lesson planning. Or copies. I try to stay on top of things, but the pile keeps getting bigger. If I didn't have so much darn paperwork I think things would be a heck of a to easier. So, anyone want to come file for me? haha.

As for the Yoga, I tried it during morning meeting. The children remembered that I told them the afternoon prior that we were going to try it and were very, very excited. My only trouble was getting them to stay focused and not be silly (a VERY difficult task for first graders.) I don't expect them to be perfect, especially not the first time. Maybe I will try playing music in the background next time.

I use music very often in my classroom. When the children are writing, I put on instrumental music to keep the room quiet and calm. I do this during morning work, as well. I think it makes for a much more positive environment. I also appreciate some soothing music. I am sure that it helps my musical learners, as well. We also worked on a money song this week about coins. The song goes faster and faster each time it is repeated, and they seemed to have a lot of fun with it.

Today I realized that I have four more students who have the potential to be reading on a third grade level. I have two students who were doing that right off the bat. I started doing a book club with them this week. They are reading a chapter book, Junie B. Jones, to be exact. We read a chapter together, they read a chapter to each other (taking turns reading each page) and then they read some of the book by them self. The next day, we talk about what we have read so far and they continue reading. I am going to test the four students tomorrow, and hopefully I will be able to add them to our book club. It is a lot of fun for the two students I have in it, and I am sure the others will enjoy it just as much.

It is amazing to me how varied my student's reading levels are. I have about 6 students who are reading below level, six who are reading above level, and six reading on average levels. Hopefully those four students will test at a third grade level tomorrow and I will be able to combine them into the highest group. Then I will have only four reading groups and I will be able to spend much more time with each group. That way, my students who are low will get more. The problem with first grade is that the target is constantly moving. First graders make a huge amount of progress throughout the year. They are expected to come in reading a RIGBY level of 3 and in June they are expected to be a level 18. It is amazing. It is, however, unfortunate to the children who are far behind to begin with. I am trying my best to find resources for them to boost their reading levels.

I should also include that my wonderful boyfriend drove all the way to my school this morning to set up my Bess beetles tank for me, because they grossed me out too much. I also was supposed to receive guppies, but they came to me half dead, and all ended up dying. He got rid of those, too. And when he gags, you know something is seriously gross. haha

Well, I think that is enough ranting for now. I am exhausted, but very happy that tomorrow is Friday!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Can you post links to the instrumental music you use, as well as the coin song? They sound like they work great and I'm interested to try them. :)
    Boo for paperwork, yay for an awesome boyfriend and yay for working so hard to give your students what they need as individuals. I think a lot of the time a person's individual needs get put aside in favor of teaching the whole class and, as you realize, that's not good for many of the kids. I'm so glad you're really making the instruction fit each child- even though it means more work for you. Great job!!! Keep up the awesome work- and have a great, RELAXING weekend! You earned it! :)

    ReplyDelete