CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 13, 2011

First Post

I'm sitting here, Sunday morning, working on school work. I am feeling slightly overwhelmed. Who says teacher's don't work on the weekends? haha. As a beginning teacher I find myself working many long hours during the week and many consecutive hours on the weekends. Not that I mind. I want to become better for both myself and my students, and I know the hard work will pay off in the long run.

I should probably introduce myself. I am Amanda. I am a first year first grade teacher. I am 22. I fortunately landed this job right after graduating (I still don't know how haha) and I am finally getting in to the swing of things. I have to admit, the first month and a half was very very hard. It still is hard. But I am finally learning to cope with the stress and I am finally getting to know my students. I look forward to working with them each day. We have fun and they always make me laugh.

I want to begin blogging for a number of reasons. I would like to reach out and get advise from other teachers all over the United States. I want to share ideas and stories. I also want a place to vent!

I already have a few funny stories from my classroom. A student asked me if I have a husband. I said no. Another student said, "That's why we call you miss."Suddenly, from across the room, a little boy yells, "WHAT? YOU'RE FREE?!?! I'm gonna tell my dad! You should meet my dad. You will like him!" I had to sit down because I was laughing so hard. The next day he comes in, "I told my dad about you. He wants to meet you." Well....This is going to make parent-teacher conferences a bit awkward. haha.

A little girl in my class is very huggy. She will hug me whenever I am standing still, pretty much. One time, she was hugging my legs and I told her she had to get in line to go to gym. She looks up at me and says, "But you are like a refrigerator and I am a magnet. I am stuck on you!"

My class has also become very attached to me. They get upset when I am out of the room. I have been attending numerous Professional Development sessions, mainly half-day ones. The past two times I have picked them up from lunch after being out for the morning, they have run at me and basically tackled me, yelling my name and hugging my legs. Kind of an ego-booster, I must admit. It feels kind of nice to be adored by 19 6 year olds. haha

I have stories that make me kind of sad, however. Like when one student said to me, "I know I am not that smart in my head, but I try very hard because I want to be a teacher like you when I grow up." I told her, "You are very smart! The reason you are in school is because you are learning. I know that you try very hard and I think you are doing a great job. If you decide to be a teacher one day, you will be wonderful." It made me think.....how did she get it in her head that she was not smart? Did someone tell her that? It is moments like these that motivate me each day to tell my students how smart they are. I don't want any of them to feel like they can;t do something or be something because they are not "smart" enough.

Well, I suppose that is enough rambling for now. I should get back to my work, haha.

Until next time,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment